For this church:
St John the Baptist
Newark and Southwell Deanery
This ancient parish church dedicated to St John the Baptist, was originally the parish church of South Collingham.
The oldest part of the church c1120 is the north aisle, which may incorporate fragments of an earlier building, with its arcades displaying fine Norman zigzag and lozenge decoration similar to that found at South Scarle. The one label stop is a gruesome head of a beast with a man’s head in its mouth.
The north aisle arcade has very fine Norman zigzag ornamentation.
The south aisle is a good example of Early English architecture c1250. It has piers of eight shafts, the ones in the main axes with fillets. The capitals are moulded, the arches double-chamfered and with heads as label stops.
The square-headed windows date from the 17th Century and are typical of the county.
The chancel dates from the 14th Century.
Although the clerestory is 15th Century, there is no medieval stained glass. All the stained glass is either Victorian or early 20th Century. The corbels which would have supported the old nave roof are still in evidence.
The tall tower dominating the village is Early English. The two lower stages are Early English; the top stage is Perpendicular with 15th century pinnacles. The tower was restored in 1886.
The South Door dates from 1907 and replaced a door dating from 1641 which had strap hinges.
Crude examples of early Mass dials to be found on the south-facing exterior wall of the Chancel and also, unusually, just inside the South Door. These are similar to sundials and were used to denote the times of services.
This church is currently being researched, a full entry will appear in due course.