For this church:
Carrington St John
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. 1843. By William Surplice. Chancel 1866-77 by Jackson & Heazell. North aisle 1922, by AE Heazell & Son. All Nottingham architects. Ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave, south porch, north aisle, lady chapel and porch. EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses, coped parapets and gables. Pointed arched windows with hood moulds. Chancel, Decorated style, 2 bays, has corbel table. East end has angle buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, and a resited window, 1843, 5-lights. South side has 2 windows, 2-lights, divided by a buttress and pinnacle. Vestry, to north, flat roofed, has a 3-light flat-headed window to east, and a similar window and door to north. Nave, 5 bays, has buttresses with pinnacles removed, and at the west end, a cross-gabled wooden bell turret. South side has 4 graduated triple lancet windows, and to west a gabled porch with pointed arched door and hood mould. West end has two flat-headed windows, 2-lights, and to left, a pointed arched door. Lady chapel, Perpendicular style, has to east a 3-light window, and to north a 2-light window, untraceried. North aisle, 5 bays, has 4 similar windows, 2-lights, and a gabled porch with chamfered doorway. West end had a graduated window, 3-lights. INTERIOR: rendered, has a roll moulded chancel arch with shafts, and a small pointed arched opening to left. Chancel has a principal rafter roof with large wooden angel corbels. East end has a stained glass window, 1948, by Pope & Parr of Nottingham to Ichabod Wright, died 1871. South side has 2 stained glass windows, late C19. North side has organ arch and blank recess. Nave, 5 bays, has a thin hammer beam roof with arch braces. North arcade has smaller end bays, octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. Stained glass window to south east, 1862, to Ichabod Wright. West end has 2 small windows. North aisle and lady chapel have a wooden barrel vault. Lady chapel has a segmental pointed arch, and stained glass east window c1944. North side has a stained glass window, 1922, and a piscina. South side has organ arch. North aisle has to north a mid C19 stained glass window, and at the west end, mid and late C19 memorial windows to the Wright family. Fittings include octagonal font with arcaded base, 1846, C19 chairs, and remaining fittings C20. Memorials include a few mid C19 tablets. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 263).
Churchyard wall, railings and gates. 1843. Coursed squared Bulwell stone with chamfered coping and wrought-iron spearhead railing. The wall borders the south, east and west sides of the churchyard. To east, a pair of square stone gate piers with pyramidal ashlar caps and double gates. To south, similar piers with a smaller wooden gate. To west, a renewed iron gate with iron piers. Included for group value.