View of the church from the south-west


St Paul

Nottingham Archdeaconry

Gedling Deanery


Carlton was formed into a parish separate from Gedling in 1883.

The red-brick church (with yellow stone dressings) was built in two phases between 1885-91 in the style of a massive Romanesque basilica. It was designed by London architect W A Coombs.

The building consists of a chancel with apse forming the sanctuary, north and south porches and western turrets, in one of which hangs a bell. The porches lead into the aisles. There is a nave of six bays with a western apse forming a baptistery. There is much moulded terracotta decoration. The inscription for the choir seats was by Eric Gill in 1903.

After completion in 1891 the church was consecrated as a memorial to the 4th Earl of Carnarvon, who gave the site and £9,000 towards the cost.

Particular thanks to Tim Southall for research on this entry.

Work has been done on this entry but some pages are incomplete. If you can add information to help complete the entry, please contact our Research Manager.