For this church:
St Michael and All Angels
The district church of St Michael and All Angels, on the corner of Foxhill Road and Hill View, used to serve the Thorneywood area. The building had originally been erected as a mission church in Wallington, Surrey in c.1870 and was moved here in 1907. The church was dedicated by the Bishop of Southwell on 14 December of that year.
The last service was held at the church on 29 April 1934 and it was demolished shortly afterwards.
The large scale Ordnance Survey map from 1953 shows a building here on a different orientation and plan. This same building in 1961 is marked as Foxhill Gospel Hall (Plymouth Brethren). The site is now occupied by Foxhill Evangelical Church and several detached houses.
St Michael and All Angels’ was apparently the temporary home of the old Saxondale font before it was moved to St Cyprian’s, Sneinton, and it is known that the altar and font of St Michael and All Angels’ were moved to St James’, Porchester in 1934.
Particular thanks to Andy Nicholson for research on this entry