For this church:
Burton Joyce St Helen
Core fabric largely C13-C14th. Nave C13th; tower developed from C13-C14th; chancel mainly late C14th
Heavily restored 1879
Late C20th extension on north side of nave
Significant Interior Features
Incised ledger stones, late mediaeval, ex situ
Chancel is offset to north on plan indicating a rebuilding phase subsequent to the construction of the nave
Clear change in fabric above the tower arch indicates transition from C13th to C14th phase
Hagioscope from north nave aisle into chancel
Bole hole/window in tower 1st floor E.wall (now opens into nave roof space)
Bell in N.aisle probably by Seliok, c.1520 (scheduled for preservation)
Inscription band of second bell
Timbers and roofs
Three pit, timber, late mediaeval frame, probably pre-1552
Long head with curved braces - requires more detailed recording
Scheduled for preservation (3 - pending further investigation).
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
An archaeological watching-brief accompanied the shallow excavation for the meeting room extension on the north side of the church in 1988 (County SMR). As the structure was built using a raft construction method, no disturbance of archaeological deposits took place. Fragmentary, disarticulated human remains were encountered.
Archaeological excavation was undertaken in advance of the installation of a new under floor heating system in the nave and nave aisles in 1997 (John Samuels Archaeological Consultants: Report No. 180/97/002). A deposit of brick rubble and other debris, probably associated with the restoration of 1879, extended to the full depth of excavation over the entire area affected. No stratigraphical layers of pre-C19th archaeological importance were identified. A large brick vault was located in the S.E. of the area excavated, measuring 2.1 m x 1.1 m, within which were two inhumation burials in coffins; these were left undisturbed. Some indication of mixed earlier deposits was evident in the extreme S.E. corner of the excavation, which included wall plaster and degraded mortar.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered to be moderate and below the present interior floors is considered to be moderate.
Exterior:Principally inhumation burials of C12-C19th date. Some evidence for reconstruction of chancel in C14th possible.
Interior:Heavy C19th disturbance evident in 1997 excavation. Post-mediaeval vaults known to exist but extent unknown. Evidence from C13/14th construction phases likely at greater depths.
Standing fabric has potential for retention of evidence relating to important constructional and phase changes, especially in the west tower.