For this church:
In 1349 the church was in a state of arrested reconstruction due to the Black Death. The highly skilled artisans and stonemasons working on the church must have been among the victims as the work stopped. It was only continued after an injunction from the Archbishop of York in 1354 issued to the Priory. In addition the Priory had to install a vicar and erect a vicarage. It is possible today to see where the work was halted and the different workmanship when the work recommenced. A distinct change of style can be seen at the top of the uprights on either side of the side windows.
The nave and aisles were built of loosely-coursely rubble, quite different from the hewn squared stone of the later 14th Century chancel and tower. The south porch with its stone seats was added in the 15th Century.