Bole St Martin

Official Listing Description

SK 78 NE





(north side)

Church of St. Martin

Grade II

Parish church. C13,C14, C15, C16. Restored 1866 by Ewan Christian. Dressed stone and ashlar with ashlar dressings, coursed rubble, slate roofs. West tower and tower chamber, nave, chancel, south porch. Deep chamfered and moulded plinths, moulded eaves band, crenellated parapets, coped east gables with crosses. West tower, C14. 2 stages. 2 string courses and eaves band with 8 gargoyles. 8 crocketed pinnacles. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. First stage has to south, 3 stair lights. To west, pointed doorway with moulded and chamfered reveal and hood mould. Above, restored C14 style triple lancet with moulded mullions, coved and chamfered reveal, hood mould and mask stops. Second stage has 4 C14 double lancet bell openings with panel tracery, moulded reveals and hood moulds. Nave, 4 bays, has diagonal buttresses at west end and 4 intermediate buttresses, 2 setoffs. Single gargoyle each side. North side has 4 crocketed pinnacles and to east, C16 round headed triple lancet with splayed mullions in coved and chamfered square headed reveal. To west, 4 centred arched moulded doorway. South side has one pinnacle and remains of 2 more. To west, porch, and to east, 3 triple lancets matching that on north side. Chancel, 2 bays, has blank north side and to east, 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. Rebuilt east end has C19 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and splayed mullions, in chamfered and rebated reveal with hood mould. South side has to west restored C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, splayed mullions and chamfered reveal with hood mould and mask stops. To east, Cl5 triple lancet with panel tracery, splayed mullions, and similar reveal and hood mould. South porch, C19 in C13 style, has 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs, moulded and chamfered doorway with hood mould and mask stops, and coped gable with cross. Arch braced roof with ashlar pieces. South doorway, late C13, has chamfered and roll moulded surround flanked by chamfered and moulded bases like buttresses. Simple incised pattern on inner reveal. Towerarch, C13, has chamfered and roll moulded head dying into matching responds with broach stops at foot. Tower chamber has 4 centred arched tower door and blocked square headed west doorway. Nave has at east end a single rectangular niche on each side. C19 roof with curved braces to collars and short strutted kinqposts. Moulded brackets, and ashlar pieces. Chancel opening head has stud and plaster partition. Carved and painted rood with foliate bosses on bressummer. North side has re-set C13 corbel forming credence. South side has to east small pointer arched piscina. C19 scissor braced roof with moulded brackets. Fittings include Romanesque tub font with interlaced arcading with round piers, scallop capitals and moulded heads, on later octagonal base and stem. C19 octagonal timber pulpit with inset late C16 Flemish relief panels with inscription and Renaissance borders, on ashlar base. Desk-type lectern, 1893. Carved timber eagle lectern on turned stem, 1918. Cove and roll moulded oak benches, C18 and C19, one with a fragment of re-used C17 carving. Unusual painted Royal Arms, 1707-1714, altered for George I. Monuments include brass 1668, to Nicholaus Browne. War memorial brass by Herbert Wauthier, 1918. Roll of Honour, 1914-18. 3 C20 brasses.