For this church:
Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery
A church is mentioned in Domesday Book at Laneham, and Beckingham is given as one of its outliers.
All Saints’ Church is built of ashlar stone mainly, consisting today of a chancel, a nave, aisles, a south porch and an embattled tower with 8 pinnacles containing 3 bells and a clock.
There is some Norman stonework in the north aisle and a Norman tub font. The original nave and chancel probably date from the late 11th or early 12th Century. A major reconstruction took place in the 13th Century with a new nave and south aisle – the old nave became the north aisle. Also a larger chancel was built and the old chancel became the chantry of St Mary. Both arcades have octagonal piers with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches.
There are sedilia with deeply moulded arches. Of note are an early piscina and an aumbry. Part of the rood screen, c1500, is under the tower arch.
The exterior is of the 15th Century, when the clerestory was added, along with many Perpendicular windows. The gargoyles and grotesques are interesting.
Two stained glass windows are in memory of the Duckle family.
There was a restoration in 1857 when the old pews of c1790 were replaced with open benches. A further major restoration was undertaken in 1892 by Ewan Christian, when the roof was renewed and the gallery removed. More major work has been needed to the chancel and roof in recent years.
Particular thanks to Timothy Southall for research on this entry