For this church:
St Augustine of Canterbury
Nottingham North Deanery
The Ecclesiastical District of New Basford was formed in 1847, the year that Reverend Thomas Bolton arrived in a fiercely Methodist stronghold. Largely at his own expense he built the first small brick church in 1859. It was designed to fit into a new church in future as an aisle or south chapel, which is exactly what happened in 1877. Then St Augustine’s became independent of St Leodegarius, the mother church in Basford. Rev. Bolton had also paid for a school which stood close to the church. School and church remained closely linked until the late 20th century.
The new church of 1877 was essentially a nave, designed by Evans & Jolley, who were also the architects of the north aisle added in 1884 and the chancel in 1895. The choir vestry was built in 1908. A tower and new south aisle were designed in 1914 but never built. Finally, in 1989, the church and the original chapel were demolished.
Particular thanks to Terry Fry for research on this entry