For this church:
St Michael and All Angels
Newark and Southwell Deanery
St Michael and All Angels, Averham (pron. ‘Airham’) has Anglo-Saxon origins, but is mainly fourteenth and fifteenth century. It was united with the parish of Kelham in 1755. The church was renovated towards the end of the nineteenth century, and remarkably had a father and son who held the rectory between them for nearly ninety years. Averham is now part of the Riverside group of parishes, which consists of Averham, Bathley, Kelham, Little Carlton, North Muskham, South Muskham and Staythorpe.
Particular thanks to Patricia Gregory & Sheila Stevens for research on this entry